The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is looking for a Broadband Writer/Editor to join a small team within ILSR focused on ensuring all Americans have fast, affordable, and reliable Internet access.
Job responsibilities include:
- Writing stories for MuniNetworks.org, a clearinghouse of the latest news, comprehensive reports, and statistics about community broadband networks.
- Writing and collaborating with the team on larger reports.
- Managing research ongoing on the cities and cooperative that are building networks.
- Monitoring an overwhelming number of Google alerts and other streams of information to keep track of local developments around community networks.
- Working with the team to develop and review research projects and creative efforts to share our work.
A successful candidate is:
- An exceptionally good writer with the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and compelling way.
- Able to write quickly when needed. Attentive to accuracy, detail, and nuance.
- Strongly motivated.
- A strong analytic thinker who can identify the pivotal questions and gaps in a piece.
- Possesses a genuine enjoyment of collaboration with a willingness to give and receive honest feedback. Skilled at helping team members improve the articles they contribute.
- Passionate about the ILSR’s mission of countering corporate monopolies and building community power.
- Enthusiastic about puns, alliteration, or some other means of playing with words.
Preferred qualifications: More than 1 year of experience in journalism or writing and editing – ideally on broadband policy, tech, or related fields. Strong knowledge of public policy processes or a tech/telecom background. A bachelor’s degree.