This post comes from Lora Berg, Editor, at Hog Farmer Magazine. This position is still open!
Managing Editor – National Hog Farmer Magazine
Full-time career opportunity on a national agricultural magazine.
The Managing Editor is responsible for helping create and produce National Hog Farmer editorial products. Such duties include: finding, writing, and editing editorial content for the print issue of the magazine, in addition to providing timely news items for the nationalhogfarmer.com website. This position requires a strong knowledge of on-farm pork production and business practices. Additional duties include capturing and editing video and representing National Hog Farmer at industry events. Primary responsibility will be related to writing news and feature stories to meet the needs of National Hog Farmer’s professional pork industry audience.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
· Conceives researches and writes accurate, concise news and feature articles, as well as blogs that require minimal editing for National Hog Farmer magazine, the nationalhogfarmer.com website and electronic newsletters that are part of the National Hog Farmer franchise. Candidate must be able to conduct on-farm interviews in modern pork production facilities when necessary.
· Provides photography to support feature articles. Responsible for insuring that material written by others has adequate photography or artwork to properly illustrate the material when necessary.
· Assists with proofreading articles and helps coordinate the magazine print production process.
· Works with National Hog Farmer staff to help ensure that websites are meeting established Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and key performance indicator (KPI) goals in accordance with Penton Media strategies.
· Represents the National Hog Farmer franchise at industry events and on occasional sales calls, developing and maintaining contacts in the pork industry to help achieve the franchise goals. (Note: the National Hog Farmer franchise includes the print magazine, http://nationalhogfarmer.com/ website, electronic newsletters and other projects related to the National Hog Farmer brand.)
Preferred candidate will possess a college degree in agricultural journalism, journalism, or animal science, with trade association, magazine or newspaper experience. Minimum of three years of magazine or pork industry communication experience preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with experience involving writing and photography related to the pork industry. Strong writing, editing and grammar skills are essential. Background and experience in agriculture is required.
To be successful in this position you must have outstanding organizational skills, be able to work well with deadlines, set priorities and juggle simultaneous tasks.
Interested candidates should send resumes to Lora Berg, Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.